If you test positive for HIV, there are programs available to help you learn about HIV and give you support. These programs can also link you to medical care and help you to get necessary medications. This step-by-step guide can help you with both of these things.
The State of Florida requires all individuals who request assistance to complete a statewide eligibility process.
Apply for Eligibility
You can make an appointment to get eligibility for services at the following two locations:
CAN Community Health
4615 Phillips Highway | Jacksonville, FL 32207 | (904) 508-0710, ext. 26925
Monday – Thursday, 8 am – 5 pm | Friday, Walk-ins
Florida Department of Health - Duval
515 West 6th St. | Jacksonville, FL 32206 | 904-253-1040
You will need to bring the following information to your appointment:
- Proof of positivity (this is the documentation that you will be given after testing positive for HIV)
- Proof of income for the last three months. This can be in the form of pay stubs if you work or your Social Security award letter. If you do not have an income and someone is helping you cover your bills or is allowing you to stay in their home, you will need to bring a letter of support from that person.
- Picture ID
- Social Security card
- Proof of health insurance if you have any
- If you are employed, and your employer does not offer health insurance, you must bring in a letter on the company letterhead explaining that this benefit is not provided.
- Proof of Florida residency (this can be from your ID or from a bill showing that you live at a Florida address)
After completing your eligibility, make an appointment to see a doctor who will work with you to get medications. The doctor's office will likely draw blood at your first visit and schedule an additional appointment two weeks out. Your lab work will be discussed at that second appointment, and medications will be prescribed. Don't be afraid to ask questions!
Have Private Insurance? Medicaid? Medicare?
It's essential to find a doctor in your insurance carrier's network. Check with member services if you need assistance.