If you test positive for HIV, there are programs available to help you learn about HIV and give you support. These programs can also link you to medical care and help you to get necessary medications. This step-by-step guide can help you with both of these things.
The State of Florida requires all individuals who request assistance to complete a statewide eligibility process.
Apply for Eligibility
You can make an appointment to get eligibility for services at the following two locations:
CAN Community Health
4615 Phillips Highway
Jacksonville, FL 32207
(904) 508-0710, ext. 26301
Monday – Thursday, 8 am – 5 pm
Florida Department of Health
515 West 6th St.
Jacksonville, FL 32206
You will need to bring the following information to your appointment:
- Proof of positivity (this is the documentation that you will be given after testing positive for HIV)
- Proof of income for the last 3 months. This can be in the form of pay stubs if you work, or your Social Security award letter. If you do not have an income and someone is helping you cover your bills or is allowing you to stay in their home, you will need to bring a letter of support from that person.
- Picture ID
- Social Security card
- Proof of health insurance if you have any
- If you are employed and your employer does not offer health insurance you will need to bring in a letter on the company letterhead explaining that this benefit is not offered
- Proof of Florida residency (this can be from your ID or from a bill showing that you live at a Florida address)
After you have your eligibility completed, make an appointment to see a doctor who will work with you to get medications. Most likely, the doctor’s office will draw blood at your first visit and schedule an additional appointment two weeks out. At that second appointment, your lab work will be discussed and medications will be prescribed. Don’t be afraid to ask questions!
Have Private Insurance? Medicaid? Medicare?
It’s important to find a doctor that is in the network for your insurance carrier. Check with member services if you need assistance.
The Rainbow Center
UF Health, 3rd Floor Clinic
653-1 W. 8th Street
Duval County Health Department
515 W. 6th Street
AHF Clinic (in St. Vincent’s Medical Center)
2 Shircliff Way, Suite 900